7.20.2007

Pop It

On Wednesdays I take yoga at 6:30. The minor problem with this is I get off work at 4:00 so that is a pretty big gap from the time I get home to the time I leave for the gym. Instead of plopping my ass on the floor and surfin the net like I usually do, I decided to peruse one of my cook books. I was paying close attention to the "Candies" section when I came across this recipe. I had all the ingredients so I thought, why not. M loved it!

Caramel Corn


Prep: 10 min Cook: 10 min Bake: 20 min Oven: 300 Makes: 7 or 8 cups
7 to 8 cups of popped popcorn (1 bag)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of light-colored corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1) Remove all unpopped kernels from popped popcorn. Put popcorn into a baking or roasting pan. Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degree oven while making caramel mixture.

2) For caramel mixture, in a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, without stirring, for 5 minutes more.

3) Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn; stir gently to coat. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Sir mixture; bake 5 minutes more. Spread caramel corn on a large piece of buttered foil to cool. Store tightly covered for 1 week.

No comments: