7.03.2007

Favorite Summer Dish

I know we are only a week and a half into summer but this has become my favorite summer dish. You can add meat and make this as the main course or it is great as a side dish too. The first time I made this I put in cubed ham as the recipe calls for. I'm not a fan of cubed ham but, my husband really liked it. Luckily, I could just pick the ham out.

Rainbow Veggie Salad


Salad
1.5 cups uncooked rainbow or plain rotini pasta (4.5 oz)*
2 cups cubed cooked ham**
1 cup thinly sliced carrots (2 med)
1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes (4 med)
1/4 cup sliced green onions (4 med)
1 Large cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
½ or 1 cup of red pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley



Dressing
3/4 cup reduced- fat mayo or salad dressing****
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper


1) Cook Pasta as directed on package. Drain; rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well
2) Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix remaining salad ingredients.
In small bowl mix dressing ingredients until well blended
3) Gently stir cooled cooked pasta into salad. Pour dressing over salad; stir gently to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until serving time. Top with Parmesan Cheese.


* There is usually plenty of dressing so I just cook the whole bag of pasta. I don't use it all in the salad, I just eyeball it.
**I think cubed ham is kinda gross. Turkey Pepperoni is delicious in the salad. Chicken would be good too.
***I use light Italian dressing

This is delicious when served right away but, tastes even better the next day.


No comments: