5.02.2008

Crispy Oat Drops

What’s a girl to do when the tornado sirens start goin off and she’s just about to make cookies? Throw the ingredients in the cabinets so they stay safe…..



I know, like that will really protect them, right? Well besides that I grabbed my purse, my laptop, and my brand spankin new running shoes (I had just gotten home from buying them) and put everything by the door into our basement. Just in case!

As the sirens continued to go and the police kept driving around our neighborhood running their sirens, I decided I would at least make the batter and stick it in the fridge. I planned on making peanut butter cookies, but my husband ate all the peanuts so that was out of the question. Then, I was going to make my MIL’s cookies, but didn't have enough coconut. So I turned to my handy Cookie Bible, and decided to make Crispy Oat Drops. The sirens finally stopped and the news programs went back to regularly scheduled programming, so I baked the cookies. Last night I thought they were really good - had a few today and I’m gonna go with DAYUM GOOD! I brought some into work today and they went super fast.

Crispy Oat Drops
from The Cookie Bible




1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1 teaspoon cream of tartar (omitted, I didn’t realize I didn’t have any until it was too late)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-3/4 cups (1 12-ounce package) M&M'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Baking Bits
1 cup toasted rice cereal
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans (omitted)
(I also added about 1 tsp of Vanilla)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large bowl cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In medium bowl combine flour, oats, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; blend flour mixture into creamed mixture. Stir in M&M's Chocolate Mini Baking Bits, cereal, coconut and pecans.

Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls* about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 13 minutes** or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in tightly covered container.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies. (Mine made 43)

* I flattened some of my cookies out on the cookie sheet and some I didn't. The ones I didn't flatten out you can really taste the rice krispies. If you're a rice krispie lover, I suggest not flattening the cookies.

** The cooking time on these was a bit tricky, the bottoms seemed to get dark quickly. I ended up taking them out of the oven when the bottoms started to get dark and the cookie didn't quite seem done. Then I let them cool on the cookie sheet for a few more minutes before transferring to wire racks.

No comments: