5.12.2008

Finally... Orzo!

In our quest to save a little money, the hubster and I have been shopping at a Wal*Mart Market store. While I love saving money, the selection of food is annoying. One item I have never seen at the store is Orzo. There are a few recipes I've passed over or adapted that are supposed to have Orzo. Imagine my excitement, when Mr. Hubster told me we had a coupon for 10% off at Hyvee. (Yes, I am lame and get excited over a trip to Hyvee and Yes, I realize the 10% off savings wasn't really worth it. Kudos to you Hyvee Marketing Department, you got us back in the door.)

Anywho, I saw this recipe for Orzo Pilaf with Green Onions and Parmesan Cheese in my google reader and starred it for the day I'd have Orzo. Well my friends, that day has come. I made it tonight, and it was delicious! I served it as a side to pork chops and also sauteed some veggies and garlic in a little bit of EVOO and white wine. This meal was very easy and tasted excellent. This may definitely became a weeknight staple... guess I need to go to Hyvee and stock up on Orzo!

Orzo Pilaf with Green Onions and Parmesan Cheese
found on: The Foodie Fashionista
originally from: Epicurious.com



I read the reviews on the website and quite a few people recommended browning the orzo before cooking it. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. My adaptations in italics

3 1/4 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth (I used almost 4 cups)
1 pound orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
5 green onions, thinly sliced (I used 3 - 31/2)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
*1/4 cup butter


Melt butter in large skillet, add Orzo and brown. While Orzo is browning, Bring 3 1/4 cups broth to boil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.

Mix in orzo and simmer uncovered until just tender but still firm to bite and some broth still remains, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add green onions and cheese and stir to blend. Season pilaf to taste with salt and pepper.

Rewarm over low heat, if necessary, and mix in more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if pilaf is dry. Transfer pilaf to large bowl and serve.

One more thing, next time I make this for just the two of us, I'm going to cut the recipe in half. It serves 6.

2 comments:

Patsyk said...

I'm totally going to make this dish! We love orzo, and this just looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

whitneyingram said...

I just ran across your blog and I love what I am seeing. Great recipes and great pics. Keep it up!