1.22.2008

Better than Panera

I love Panera's Black Bean soup. I've been searching for a black bean soup to make at home but haven't found one I liked enough to try. I can't remember where I found this recipe but I'm so happy I did.

Black Bean Soup
from ??

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 c. low-sodium chicken stock
3 cans black beans, undrained I drained and rinsed the beans to lower the sodium content of the soup
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp cornstarch

1) In a pot, heat oil and add onion, celery, and carrot.Stir over medium high heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.

2)Add bell pepper, cook for 1 additional minute and deglaze bottom of pan with chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add can of beans, salt and cumin; cook for 5 minutes.

3) Lightly puree soup (easy to do with an immersion blender)Add the rest of the beans to the soup. I pureed quite a bit. It made the soup very thick.

4) Combine the cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water. Add the lemon and the cornstarch to the soup; cook until thickened.

No comments: