11.04.2007

Just like mom used to make

Except, I don't think my mom ever made homemade mac and cheese when I was growing up. I've really been craving some but was trying to find a "healthy" version of it. I was just about to kind of combine 2 recipes, one from Leslie and one from Nemmie, but then in the KC Star I found this.....

Pump It Up Macaroni and Cheese
8 servings





1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups 1 percent milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
2 cups 2 percent shredded cheddar cheese, divided
7 cups firmly cooked elbow macaroni

1) Place cauliflower in microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water and cover. Microwave on high power 5 to 7 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender. Carefully drain any liquid from cauliflower and place cauliflower in food processor. Add water a tablespoon at a time and pulse until mixture is smooth; set aside. (Cauliflower puree should be completely smooth.)

2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in large saucepan. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese and stir until melted. Blend in cauliflower mixture. Add cooked pasta and spoon into a 2-quart casserole that has been sprayed with nonstick spray coating. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake 30 minutes

Like I said, I found this recipe in the Star. It was with an article about sneaking veggies into your kids foods. If you want to read the article, click here.

A few changes I made to the recipe:
Instead of cheddar cheese, I used Velveeta. Also, on the top I sprinkled Monterrey Jack Cheese and bread crumbs. Since I used chunks of Velveeta I kept the sauce pan on low heat. Soooooo Good. I can't wait to make this again.

Per serving: 307 calories (24 percent from fat), 8 grams total fat (5 grams saturated), 21 milligrams cholesterol, 42 grams carbohydrates, 16 grams protein, 395 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.

Recipe developed for The Star by professional home economists Kathryn Moore and Roxanne Wyss.

No comments: