3.08.2008

This stuff's the....

S%!$. That was the text message I received (well the edited message) from my husband today while I was at work. I had planned on making this yesterday after work and bringing it in today for my coworkers. Well, things didn't go as planned yesterday and I didn't end up starting on this til 7:30 last night and it wasn't set when I went to bed last night. Getting up at 4:40 is bad enough, I didn't feel like taking the time to cut squares this morning before work. So I had to wait all day til I got home at 2:45 to try this.

I'm happy to report it was well worth the wait. These are fantabulous! I can't wait to make them for a group of people. I first saw this recipe a few weeks ago on Dinner & Dessert and my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the pictures. I knew I HAD to make them!

Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
from Dinner & Dessert
originally from Good Eats 'n Sweet Treats




3/4 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional (I omitted the nuts and used chunky PB for the topping)
4 cups miniature marshmallows

Topping:
1-1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups crisp rice cereal

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desired. Spread in a greased 15 x 10 x 1″ pan. (I used a 9×13-inch pan)

Bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over cake; return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Using a knife dipped in water, spread the melted marshmallows evenly over cake. (I didn't spread the marshmallow, mine were already in an even row) Cool.

For topping, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and well blended. Remove from heat; stir in cereal. Immediately spread over bars. Chill.

Yield: 3 dozen


No comments: