8.13.2007

A Delicious Disaster

Friday night M went to a Wii Party (I guess boys never grow up....) so I had the entire evening to myself! I was so excited. I used the evening to cook and bake. We had to go to a BBQ at my brother in law's on Saturday so I decided to bring my Taco Salad and make Easy Candy-Bar Teats. The recipe seemed simple enough and I had all night.

I got everything prepared and realized that I didn't have the correct size pan. I mean come on, who has a 9x9x2 inch or 11x7x1.5 inch pan. Not me said the flea. I'm not sure what size pan I used (it was smaller than the recipe called for) but, I think it was the demise of my treats.

Easy Candy-Bar Treats
Prep: 10min Cook: 7 and 3/4ths minutes Chill: 2 hours



½ cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup cold milk
3.5 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
30 vanilla caramels, unwrapped*
1-tablespoon water
2 cups unsalted peanuts*
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips*

½ cup milk chocolate chips*

1) Line a 9x9x2 inch or 11x7x1.5 inch-baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Butter the foil; set aside.

2) In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the butter, uncovered on 100 percent power for 1 – 1.5 minutes or until melted. Stir in cocoa powder, brown sugar, and milk. Microwave, uncovered on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil, stirring once. Stir again; microwave for 30 seconds more. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread mixture in prepared pan.

3) In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine caramels and water. Microwave, uncovered, on 50 percent power (medium) for 2.5 to 3 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring once. Stir in peanuts. Microwave, uncovered on medium for 45 to 60 seconds more or until mixture is softened. Gently and quickly spread peanut mixture over fudge layer in pan.

4) In a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measure, combine semisweet and milk chocolate pieces. Microwave, uncovered, on 50 percent power for 2-3 minutes or until melted, stirring once or twice. Spread over peanut layer, Score into pieces while warm. Cover and chill for 2 – 3 hours or until bottom is firm. Use foil to lift candy out of pan. Cut into pieces. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

**I used 3 cups peanuts, 43 caramels, 1.25 cups milk chocolate chips, and 1.25 cups semi sweet chocolate chips**


So everything sounds simple enough, right? My picture up above looks decent, right? So here is....

The Story of A Delicious Disaster

It all started with the fact my pan wasn't the right size. I'm pretty sure it was too deep. I made my bottom later and all was good. I started on my peanut layer and all was good until I went to spread it in the pan. There wasn't enough mixture! I melted a little more caramel and add some peanuts and all was good. Before I mixed my chocolate chips I added about 1/4 cup more of each kind of chocolate chip since I had to add more peanut mixture.

So I made the candy and stuck it in the fridge. I let it sit there all night, thinking that it would be firm in the morning. When I finally pulled the dish out, I lifted the candy out of the foil and this is what I see......


The damn fudge didn't set! So I was a little upset about it and I decided to put it back in the dish (without the foil). I had M cut it for me. As soon as he stuck the knife in there and fudge part started gushing up the sides. :( He cut it anyway and we stuck it in the freezer. It tasted delicious, it was just super messy since the fudge layer didn't set. Here is a good shot of all 3 layers and you can see the fudge layer oozing around the bottom.

Here is a shot after about 1/2 the candy was devoured. You had to scape up the fudge layer. Not that that was a bad thing, it just wasn't what I expected. I'm pretty sure, the bottom layer was too thick to set. It may not have boiled enough either.



So all in all, it didn't turn out like I thought it would, but it was still good. It tastes very similar to a snickers bar. I will definitely be trying this again.... next time I'll use the correct pan!

1 comment:

Julia & Tyler said...

That's too bad that the fudge layer didn't set. It still looks tasty though!