2.10.2008

Just like a resturant!

Last night we had our friends Erin and Scooter over for dinner. I really, really wanted to do a 3 course fondue but, Erin is pregnant and meat isn't really agreeing with her anymore. I decided a Mexican theme meal would be good instead. I made Julia's Black Bean Enchiladas, Julie's Chicken Enchiladas, salsa and some Jose Peppers Espinaca. I planned on making my friend Stephanie's Gauc, but apparently I suck at gauc making so it didn't turn out. We also had fabulous Chocolate Fondue for dessert (I know it doesn't really go with Mexican, but damn, it was so good)

I forgot to take pictures last night but here is the recipe for Chicken Enchiladas. When I pulled them out of the oven everyone commented on how they look (and taste!) like they're from a resturant.

Chicken Enchiladas
my changes in italics

3 or 4 boneless/skinless chicken breast halves
1 can refried beans (I use fat free)
1 can hot enchilada sauce
1Tbs butter
1Tbs flour
1 8oz container sour cream (again, I use fat free)
¼ red or white onion chopped
1 jalapeno chopped
3 C. shredded cheddar (or cheddar/MJ blend) cheese
10 burrito size flour tortillas-
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper


Season chicken with salt & pepper, then cook in some vegetable oil in a pan until done (or youcan bake it if you prefer). Let cool slightly and shred with forks or your hands.

Combine enchilada sauce, butter and flour in small sauce pan and cook over medium heat untilbutter is melted, stirring often.

Combine sour cream and 1 C. of the cheese in another small sauce pan and heat over med-lowheat until cheese is melted, stirring often.

Combine refried beans, onion and jalapeno in a bowl and stir well (or you can just sprinkle thejalapenos and onions on the enchiladas individually)

Spread some of the bean mixture on each tortilla, top with shredded chicken, and roll up. Thenplace in a 13x9 glass baking dish.

Pour enchilada sauce over the top of the rolled up tortillas. Then pour the sour cream/cheese mixture over the top. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments: