2.29.2008

It's his turn

I got my first CL in the mail a few weeks ago and immediately found a recipe I wanted to make - Parmesan Chicken and Rice Casserole. My plan was to make it on Sunday, since I knew I'd be too busy to cook all week. Well the husband failed to inform me he wouldn't be around for dinner (even after I'd asked him) so I figured I'd have to wait to make this. Well he decided to help me out on Thursday and make this. It was quite funny:

Him: So, should I put Parmesan, Monterrey or Cheddar on the chicken?
Me: Um honey, it's called PARMESAN Chicken and Rice Casserole.
Him: Oh, right. Man, this is complicated. I'd rather make some hot dogs.

Anyway, this turned out pretty good, I'm pretty sure we'll have it again. Sorry my picture sucks, my camera died 2 seconds after I took this picture, so there were no other chances for a pretty picture.

Parmesan Chicken and Rice Casserole
Total Time: 37 min





Cooking Spray
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (3 1/2 ounce) bags boil-in-bag brown rice he used minute rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 3/4lb) he used chicken breast
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp whipping cream he used skim milk
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1 - Preheat oven to 450

2 - heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; saute' 2 minutes. Add garlic; saute' 30 seconds. Remove rice from bags; add to pan. Saute' 30 seconds. Stir in wine; cook 30 seconds or until liquid almost evaporates. Spoon rice mixture in an even layer into a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

3 - Arrange chicken in a single layer over rice mixture; sprinkle evenly with thyme and salt. Combine broth and cream, stirring well; pour over chicken and rice mixture.


4 - Bake at 450 for 15 min. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is done (ours took a little longer)

No comments: