7.07.2008

Chicken Salad

So my pictures from dinner tonight aren't the best, but the hubster gave the meal two thumbs. I'm not a big fan of chicken salad by any means. I don't like mayo so I guess that's why I don't like it. I saw this recipe and was intrigued because it used Greek Yogurt. I've read lots of good things about Greek Yogurt, but had never tried it.

For a non-chicken salad person this was really good. It was super quick and easy to prepare and the clean up was cinch too! The flavor was pretty good. My husband thought it was perfect, I think it could have used a little something else. Maybe some diced jalapeno.

Next time, I'm going to cut this in half. It made way too much for 2 people. Also, I think adding some more veggies would be right up my alley.

Mediterranean Chicken Salad
Adapted From: Cooking Light July 2008



Ingredients
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups chopped cooked chicken 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives (about 20 small) omitted
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
6 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, cut in half Omitted, we ate ours on whole grain English muffins
12 Bibb lettuce leaves
6 (1/8-inch-thick) slices tomato, cut in half


Preparation

Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Combine chicken and next 5 ingredients (through chickpeas) in a large bowl. Add yogurt mixture to chicken mixture; toss gently to coat. Line each pita half with 1 lettuce leaf and 1 tomato piece; add 1/2 cup chicken mixture to each pita half.


Yield
6 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 404(23% from fat); FAT 10.2g (sat 3.8g,mono 4g,poly 1.5g); IRON 3.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 110mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.4g; SODIUM 575mg; PROTEIN 33.6g; FIBER 6g

No comments: