7.27.2008

Brownies

Even though my picture for these brownies isn't very good, they are pretty tasty. Lately I've been on a brownie kick. I haven't blogged about any of the recipes yet because my pictures never turn out any good. I'm not real sure why I decided to blog about this, but I am.

I made these tonight b/c I was certain my cookie carnival recipe was going to be a huge flop. Luckily I was wrong and now I have two very tasty treats in my house. These aren't the best brownies I've ever made, but still good. I'd give them a 7.

Coconutty M&M's Brownie
Source: The Cookie Bible



Ingredients:

6 squares (1-ounce each) semi-sweet chocolate I used 4 oz semisweet 2 oz bittersweet
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups "M&M's" Chocolate Mini Baking Bits, divided
Coconut Topping (recipe follows)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
2. In a small saucepan, combine chocolate, sugar, and butter over low heat; stir constantly until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat; let cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl beat eggs, oil, and vanilla; stir in chocolate mixture until well blended.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture.
5. Stir in 1 cup "M&M's" Chocolate Mini Baking Bits. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
6. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
7. Prepare Coconut Topping: Spread over brownies; sprinkle with remaing 1/2 cup "M&M"s" Chocolate Mini Baking Bits. Cut into bars. Store in tightly covered container.

Yields: 16 brownies

Coconut Topping:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
3/4 cup chopped pecans1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Prepare Coconut Topping:

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and corn syrup; stir constantly until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Spread over brownies. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup "M&M's" Chocolate Mini Baking Bits.

No comments: