2.16.2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Just a few days late. Matt and I have been together for almost 7 years and we've never been big Valentine's Day people. This year however I was super exctied. Almost the whole fam was going to be in KC this weekend. I love my family and am so sad most of them live in STL and we don't get to see each other all the time.

My cousin and wife that live in DC had a baby back in November. (Actually, I blogged about. It was the day I realized I am not and will never be Martha.) They were coming in so we could all meet little Collin. Saturday night consisted of a fabulous Steak Dinner compliments of Kent (proud member of Gremlin Grill) and then an open house/shower for friends. I decided to make roll out cookies so I could practice using the new Wilton Decorating Tips I got for Christmas.

I'm still not Martha, but the tips make decorating so much easier than the plastic bag trick. I used Royal Icing, but for some reason my icing was super thick. I tried to thin it out by adding extra water/vanilla/food coloring, but it remained thick. It didn't tase bad, but some of the cookies didn't turn out as smooth a I would have liked. I made these cookies last year and don't remember them being this awesome. They are soft and the hint of cinnamon in the dough gives the chocolate just a little kick. The cookies are so good, they honestly would be amazing without the icing. The recipe I used was Chocolate Rollout Cookies from Dori Greenspan and can be found here. Click here for the Royal Icing Recipe

I made between 3 and 4 dozen cookies and there was only one left in the morning. They were a big hit!




And of course, the best Valentine's Day is the one you get to spend with those you love.... (yeah, yeah so corny!)








The guest of honor...

2 comments:

Dunhams said...

Precious...your cookies and the little guy :)

Elyse said...

The cookies turned out awesome! I'm so glad that you got to have a big reunion with the fam! The little one is absolutely precious.