An addiction to baking. I can't help it. Since Sunday at 2pm I've whipped up: Strawberry Almond Bars, Coconutty Brownies, PB Cookies, and Banana Cupcakes with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting. And that list doesn't include the 2 pizzas we also made. I'm. A. Freak. My addiction wouldn't be quite as bad if I didn't have such a sweet tooth. (Good thing I also have an addiction to working out!) I must be making up for all the times I was too busy with school to bake.
Last night around 7 we were just hanging out and all the sudden these cupcakes popped in my head. I saw them on my Google reader last week and starred them right away. I hopped off the couch and told my husband I had to bake them. My excuse was that I'll bring them to my mom's house this weekend. This probably wasn't a very smart choice. I don't think cupcakes travel very well, especially 3 hours and 45 min. I thought about making this a cake instead, but the hubs wanted cupcakes.
Matt LOVED these, (I'm talkin a 9.5 rating) especially the frosting. I didn't care for them quite as much, but I don't care for frosting at all. (I'm gonna go with a 7.5 - although I may like them more today, you know how it is when you bake something and it's never quite as good after you've been baking. It always tastes better the next day. I may have to edit this after lunch.) I was hoping the honey and cinnamon would help, but it still tasted pretty buttercreamy. These are supposed to bake for 25 - 30 min. I did mine for about 18 and I feel like they are almost dry, I also think next time I make these I'll add something to the mix to give them a little more flavor.
Update: I'm definitely giving these a higher score. I just had one and it was delicious! I think an 8.5 will do! :)
Banana Cupcakes with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting
Source: Good Thymes & Good Food
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas), plus 1 whole banana, for garnish (optional)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
5. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla.
6. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not over mix).
7. Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
9. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Spread tops with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting (see below)
11. Just before serving, peel and slice banana into rounds, and place one on each cupcake, if desired. Makes 12 (I had 16)
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon I added about 1 tsp
1. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat confectioners' sugar, unsalted butter, honey, and ground cinnamon until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.