4.28.2008

Ecstasy? Not Quite

I was on a roll yesterday and so I thought I'd whip up a second batch of cookies. I decided to look through my BHG cook book and found a recipe for Fudge Ecstasies. It was marked as "Best Loved" and sounded simple enough, so I gave it a try. At the last minute I decided to throw in a massive scoop of peanut butter - boy was that dumb. I should have realized it would mess things up, but I wasn't thinking at the moment. These were supposed to cook for 8 - 10 minutes and my first batch had been in there wayyy longer than that. I finally decided I better pull them out when they started smoking! Here is what I saw....



This is what I was supposed to see:

What a disappointment. I trashed the first dozen and ended up salvaging the rest. My husband seems to like them, but they are just ok. I'll definitely try these again, but next time not add a huge spoonful of peanut butter. We have some Cool Whip in the house, so I decided to make some cookie sandwiches - yum!





Fudge Ecstasies from BHG

1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate pieces
2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped nuts


In a heavy medium saucepan heat half of the chocolate pieces, the unsweetened chocolate and the butter until melted, stirring occasionally. Add eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla and baking powder. Beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in remaining chocolate pieces and nuts.

Drop by rounded teaspoon two inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and surfaces are dull and cracked. Cool cookies on wire rack. Makes about 36 cookies.

No comments: